Head of Technology
Phoenix-based Portfolio Company
West-Coast Based Search Fund & Private Equity Firm
Company & Role:
We are looking for an entrepreneurial Head of Technology to manage the ground-up systems design and buildout for a consumer subscription-based services business. We recently acquired the company, which sells a popular service to an already-sizeable base of monthly subscribers. The company is not a true startup, but the role requires a startup-minded technologist who can build scalable systems to support startup-like growth: 5-10x over the next 5-10 years. To unlock this growth, the Head of Tech will (1) first design and implement thoughtful, scalable systems, and (2) over time, build teams and grow as a senior technology executive. The Head of Tech will report to CEO, present to the Board and PE owners, and have broad responsibilities spanning technology, operations, and strategy.
An established, profitable, 15-person company sells a popular service to consumers (no physical product). Under previous owners, company made minimal investment in technology, which hindered growth. The team is eager to move from paper-based processes to higher-value activities, and the new owner is excited to implement modern systems. Technology need not be novel – this is a straightforward B2C business with a B2B sales component. We need not reinvent the wheel and prefer to adopt platforms popular with other modern DTC SaaS companies.
Attractive elements include:
- Lower risk than a traditional startup – the business has a proven product, loyal customers, and steady cash flow
- Minimal tech debt, few constraints, no bureaucracy – Head of Tech owns tech side and should have a bias to action
- A promising business – a capital-light, scalable model with network effects and operating leverage
- Mentorship from successful serial entrepreneurs; Head of Tech is an early exec hire backed by a growing PE firm
- First-time Head of Tech who grows into role; 4-8 years of past experience with outstanding reviews and results
- An exceptional technologist with substantial expertise building web-based DTC subscription businesses
- An outstanding communicator and leader who builds world-class teams and inspires colleagues to deliver their best
Top Priority Projects:
- Complete overhaul of B2C website
- Complete overhaul of B2B sales and marketing tech stack, including CRM and sales automation tools
- Develop integrations via APIs with partner tools
- Data analysis related to our network, lead-generation, and business metrics
- Full digitization of all customer service and other back-office processes
- Phoenix-based, available to work on-site
- Tech savvy – direct experience building a B2C site; direct experience with B2B MarTech & Sales platforms
- Excellent time manager and project manager; effective at both delegating and implementing
- Entrepreneurial; eager to work at a small ~15 person company as the leader driving its tech transformation
Nice to Haves:
- Computer science background; database, scripting, and analytics experience
- Direct experience with B2B sales elements – SalesForce, Hubspot/OutreachIO, etc.
Compensation: Market competitive. Top performers grow with company and are first in line for future portfolio company roles
Location: Phoenix, AZ. In person (Covid-permitting), not remote.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to learn more; please introduce yourself here: https://form.jotform.com/210328698203152
We review applications same-day and generally respond to all applicants within a week
Phoenix, AZ 85014